Genomics is the study of the structure, function and inheritance of the genetic material (the genome or DNA) of the organism, such as dairy cattle. For many in the dairy genetics industry genomics is anticipated to provide the greatest advancement since the advent of frozen semen. Genomic testing is a tool which increases the accuracy of predicting an animal’s genetic merit.
Inovula have tested more than 605 animals and the results are amongst the best in the world and are far better on average than all the animals tested at Igenity. The fact that we have done embryo flushings since the early 80’s with superior semen from all over the world, from the best local and imported cow families, has given us the leading edge. We have genetics in our herd for high milk production from strong cows with exceptional daughter pregnancy rate and high productive life as well as low somatic cell score.
Genomic knowledge base: “click to open”
- Genetiese verbetering van Spitsvuur Holsteins (Afrikaans)
- Genetic improvement of Spitsvuur Holsteins (English)
- Understanding Genomics and Its Applications on a Commercial Dairy Farm
- Genomics accurately predicts class rank
- All about genomics
- Genomics: Where are we headed
- Fluid merit (Adapted to the SAEM) as a measure of lifetime profit